Suggested Considerations for Digital Signage
- Display (Note: Most don’t have TV tuners built in)
- Projector and “screen” surface (Multiple options for each)
- Does it need to be interactive?
- Is the media player/computer built into the unit or do you need to store additional equipment at that location
- Size and Weight
- Ensure intended structure can support display(s) and mount(s).
- The Samsung 110- Inch ($150 K) LED is over 250 pounds WITHOUT mount
- Individuals and Stores/Museums were buying Panasonic’s 152 Plasma ($500 K) that weighed over 1,200 pounds WITHOUT mount and used a 200-240V AC power supply. This is cheaper and lighter option, making it much more popular than you’d think.
- LEDs are thin and easy to place in decorative boxes and other design structures.
- Ensure there is proper ventilation.
- Ventilation is even more important when working with projectors.
- Mounts and Lifts
- Ensure specialty mounts/lifts meet regulation (or exemption is on record).
- Ensure motorized mounts and lifts have the proper power.
- Projector Considerations
- Projectors Large venue DLP projectors have different power requirements.
- Clients need easy access to change the filter and bulbs in ALL (even laser) projectors
- Projectors won’t last in extremely dusty or smoky areas without modifications.
- Warehouses, “party” locations (smoke machine), directly above fire features
- Only Laser projectors (expensive) are warrantied for vertical digital signage
- Does the location make sense?
- Does it go with the flow of the room?
- Is the obstructed by anything?
- Don’t put displays straight on in direct sunlight
- If it MUST go in direct sun, design a hood of some sort
- Tilt it downward with a mount
- Do you need to coordinate the display location with speakers, cameras, or other equipment?
- If possible use the psychology of shopping to your advantage
- ALWAYS wire when possible!
- If the client is unsure about using digital signage or adding additional displays, wire but don’t terminate the connection.
- Solid, secure Wi-Fi is needed for wireless distribution to avoid choppiness
- 4G distribution is available if needed (rare)
Content Creation and Distribution
- Clients can purchase both as a service either bundled or individually. Here are some the Digital Signage Federation: Content Creation, Distribution, and Analytics
- Vertically mounted displays and projections need vertical content (think of when you rotate your phone).
- The software plays the largest part in in signage options (tickers, RSS feeds, YouTube, trending, break out boxed, logic).